Menopause is a natural and universal event of the human female life cycle. However, it is an event that is different for each individual. Part 1 of this article describes the spectrum of symptoms that may be experienced and advocates a patient-centred approach to management.
- Every woman has individual concerns about menopause to be addressed.
- A woman’s concerns are influenced by social, cultural and psychological factors.
- Menopausal symptoms must be evaluated on an individual basis and alternative serious underlying disease excluded.
- Taking time for discussion before initiating management will improve satisfaction and adherence to the management plan.
- Regular follow up visits uncover all the issues and defuse emerging problems.