GPs have an important role in the management of children with eye injuries because the initial assessment and treatment often determine the outcome.
- The GP is often the first person to assess an injured eye.
- A good history and assessment with the proper equipment helps evaluate whether you can manage the injury, or whether it requires the prompt attention of an ophthalmologist. Knowing which problems are urgent helps you make this decision.
- Examining a child with an injured eye is often a difficult task and must be done with great care.
- Your assessment and treatment often determine the outcome.
- Be on the look out for nonaccidental injury.