Rural GPs may need to manage all stages of diagnosis and treatment of hepatitis C, including the care of patients with cirrhosis (Box 6). GP outreach models have also been developed, in which GPs provide assessment and care in the community, as described above (Box 3).
Australian GPs are leading the world in curing hepatitis C. GPs can treat and cure most people living with hepatitis C with well-tolerated DAA therapy. Finding and treating patients with hepatitis C is straightforward and fits well with the skills that GPs use every day. Curing hepatitis C is rewarding for the treating doctor as well as life-changing for the patient. Eliminating hepatitis C from your practice is a great step towards hepatitis C elimination in Australia. MT
COMPETING INTERESTS: Dr Baker has received clinical trial funding and conference sponsorship and serves on the advisory board for AbbVie, Gilead and MSD. Dr Balcomb has received funding and conference sponsorship from Gilead and AbbVie. Dr O’Loan has received funding and conference sponsorship from Gilead and MSD. Dr Howell: None.
1. Hajarizadeh B, Dore G. Kirby Institute, UNSW Sydney, NSW. Unpublished data.
4. Draper B, Layton C, Doyle J, et al. Eliminating hepatitis C: Part 1. Finding your patients with hepatitis C. Med Today 2019; 20(6): 34-40.
5. Layton C, Richmond J, Baker D, et al. Eliminating hepatitis C: Part 2. Assessing your patient for antiviral treatment. Med Today 2019; 20(7): 24-32.
6. Purcell T, Wade A, Accadia L, et al. Eliminating hepatitis C: Part 3. Curing hepatitis C in general practice. Med Today 2019; 20(8): 20-26.
7. Chan K, Gooey M, Hellard M, et al. Eliminating hepatitis C: Part 4. Ongoing care after hepatitis C treatment. Med Today 2019; 20(9): 36-42.
8. Lazarus JV, Safreed-Harmon K, Thursz MR, et al. The micro-elimination approach to eliminating hepatitis C: strategic and operational considerations. Semin Liver Dis 2018; 38(3): 181-192.
9. Burnet Institute Eliminate Hepatitis C Partnership. EC Partnership practice support toolkit. Melbourne: Burnet Institute; 2018. Available online at: https://ecpartnership.org.au/toolkit (accessed October 2019).
11. Australian Government Department of Health. Clinical practice guidelines: pregnancy care. Canberra: Australian Government Department of Health; 2019.
12. Louie KS, St Laurent S, Forssen UM, Mundy LM, Pimenta JM. The high comorbidity burden of the hepatitis C virus infected population in the United States. BMC Infect Dis 2012; 12: 86.