© GETTY IMAGES/OF SCIENCE EYE. SPERM FERTILISING AN OVUM
1. Sallmen M, Sandler DP, Hoppin JA, Blair A, Baird DD. Reduced fertility among overweight and obese men. Epidemiology 2006; 17: 520-523.
2. Tsai EC, Matsumoto AM, Fujimoto WY, Boyko EJ. Association of bioavailable, free, and total testosterone with insulin resistance: influence of sex hormone-binding globulin and body fat. Diabetes Care 2004; 27: 861-868.
3. Dallal RM, Chernoff A, O’Leary MP, Smith JA, Braverman JD, Quebbemann BB. Sexual dysfunction is common in the morbidly obese male and improves after gastric bypass surgery. J Am Coll Surg 2008; 207: 859-864.
4. Salas-Huetos A, Maghsoumi-Norouzabad L, James ER, et al. Male adiposity, sperm parameters and reproductive hormones: an updated systematic review and collaborative meta-analysis. Obes Rev 2020. doi: 10.1111/obr.13082. Online ahead of print.
5. MacDonald AA, Herbison GP, Showell M, Farquhar CM. The impact of body mass index on semen parameters and reproductive hormones in human males: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Hum Reprod Update 2010; 16: 293-311.
6. Chavarro JE, Toth TL, Wright DL, Meeker JD, Hauser R. Body mass index in relation to semen quality, sperm DNA integrity, and serum reproductive hormone levels among men attending an infertility clinic. Fertil Steril 2010; 93: 2222-2231.
7. Hammoud AO, Wilde N, Gibson M, Parks A, Carrell DT, Meikle AW. Male obesity and alteration in sperm parameters. Fertil Steril 2008; 90: 2222-2225.
8. Oliveira JBA, Petersen CG, Mauri AL, et al. Association between body mass index and sperm quality and sperm DNA integrity. A large population study. Andrologia 2018; 50: e12889.
9. Soubry A, Guo L, Huang Z, et al. Obesity-related DNA methylation at imprinted genes in human sperm: Results from the TIEGER study. Clinical Epigenetics 2016; 8: 51.
10. Keltz J, Zapantis A, Jindal SK, Lieman HJ, Santoro N, Polotsky AJ. Overweight men: clinical pregnancy after ART is decreased in IVF but not in ICSI cycles. J Assist Reprod Genet 2010; 27: 539-544.
11. Campbell JM, Lane M, Owens JA, Bakos HW. Paternal obesity negatively affects male fertility and assisted reproduction outcomes: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Reproductive biomedicine online 2015; 31: 593-604.
12. Vine MF. Smoking and male reproduction: a review. Int J Andrology 1996; 19: 323-337.
13. Bundhun PK, Janoo G, Bhurtu A, et al. Tobacco smoking and semen quality in infertile males: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Public Health 2019; 19: 36.
14. Banerjee A, Singh A, Srivastava P, Turner H, Krishna A. Effects of chronic bhang (cannabis) administration on the reproductive system of male mice. Birth Defects Res B Dev Reprod Toxicol 2011; 92: 195-205.
Rajanahally S, Raheem O, Rogers M, et al. The relationship between cannabis and male infertility, sexual health, and neoplasm: a systematic review. Andrology 2019; 7: 139-147.
16. McLachlan RI, Kovacs G, Cook R. The role of the GP in managing male infertility. Med Today 2010; 11(10): 16-26.
17. Camacho EM, Huhtaniemi IT, O’Neill TW, et al; EMAS Group. Age-associated changes in hypo-thalamic-pituitary-testicular function in middle-aged and older men are modified by weight change and lifestyle factors: longitudinal results from the European Male Ageing Study. Eur J Endocrinol 2013; 168: 445-455.
18. Dallal RM, Chernoff A, O’Leary MP, Smith JA, Braverman JD, Quebbemann BB. Sexual dysfunction is common in the morbidly obese male and improves after gastric bypass surgery. J Am Coll Surg 2008; 207: 859-864.
19. Mir J, Franken D, Andrabi SW, Ashraf M, Rao K. Impact of weight loss on sperm DNA integrity in obese men. Andrologia 2018; 50: e12957.
20. Calderón B, Huerta L, Galindo J, et al. Lack of improvement of sperm characteristics in obese males after obesity surgery despite the beneficial changes observed in reproductive hormones. Obes Surg 2019; 29: 2045-2050.
21. Wood GJA, Tiseo BC, Paluello DV, et al. Bariatric surgery impact on reproductive hormones, semen analysis, and sperm dna fragmentation in men with severe obesity: prospective study. Obes Surg 2020. doi: 10.1007/s11695-020-04851-3. Online ahead of print.