Organised screening programs are now making an impact on the rate of cervical cancer. By detecting disease in the preinvasive phase, we can give safe and simple treatment and prevent cancer developing in the future. This article reviews the current state of screening and treatment.
- The rate of cervical carcinoma is decreasing.
- We are still not screening 100% of the recommended population.
- We understand some of the causative factors of cervical neoplasia.
- In the majority of women, colposcopy is uncomfortable but not painful.
- Treatment of preinvasive disease is well tolerated and effective.
- Recruitment by general practitioners is the most effective strategy for screening.