Which patients are suitable for the correction of refractive errors by laser or other surgery, what procedures are available and what should patients expect on the day of a laser surgery operation and afterwards, including the possible complications?
- Patients seek refractive surgery in order to function better, rather than for cosmetic reasons.
- Laser vision correction works well as an alternative to glasses or contact lenses.
- The most common laser vision correction procedure is LASIK (laser in situ keratomileusis).
- Not everyone is suitable for laser vision correction; the decision to proceed is an individual choice with advice from the ophthalmologist.
- Lens surgery is a better choice than laser refractive surgery in some patients.