The general practitioner has an important role in promoting sexual health in adolescents. A proactive approach with high-quality support is essential.
- Sexual activity is prevalent in adolescence.
- Knowledge of sexually transmitted infections is generally poor among adolescents.
- Delaying age of first sexual intercourse helps to reduce risk.
- Helping adolescents to use contraception, and to use contraception correctly, is essential in teenage pregnancy prevention.
- Adverse outcomes of adolescent birth can be minimised if high-quality support and care are provided.
- Effective sexual history taking is the cornerstone of a proactive approach to adolescent sexual and reproductive health promotion.