A careful structured approach to the diagnosis and management of pruritus, with simple intensive topical treatment regimens at least initially, helps patients with pruritus.
- Pruritus is extremely debilitating and prompt management is essential.
- A phone call to a dermatologist regarding a desperate patient should ensure prompt review.
- Dry, sun-damaged skin is itchy and avoiding soap and moisturiser and overheating will help all patients with pruritus.
- A careful history and examination is essential.
- Investigations are only indicated if the diagnosis is not obvious or simple treatments fail.
- Printed patient information and treatment instruction sheets are essential.
Picture credit: © Jacopin/BSIP/SPL