Most mental disorders start in adolescence or early adult life. Early detection and holistic treatment are crucial. GPs, working in partnership with specialist youth mental health services such as headspace, have an important role to play in supporting young people experiencing a mental health condition.
- Mental health conditions typically start in adolescence or early adult life. Left untreated these conditions can have serious personal and social impacts.
- Early detection and holistic treatment reduce the likelihood of adverse outcomes and promote recovery.
- GPs working in partnership with specialist mental health services have a major role to play in supporting young people experiencing a mental health condition.
- GPs are able to refer young people to headspace for assessment and management of common mental health conditions such as depression and anxiety.
- GPs play a crucial role in the headspace model. They are a key source of referral to headspace centres and also a key workforce within centres.