1. Australian Institute of Health and Welfare. Data tables: Overweight and obesity 2019. Available online at: www.aihw.gov.au/reports-data/behaviours-risk-factors/overweight-obesity/data (accessed September 2020).
2. Twaij A, Sodergren MH, Pucher PH, et al. A growing problem: implications of obesity on the provision of trauma care. Obes Surg 2013; 23: 2113-2120.
3. Access Economics. The growing costs of obesity in 2008: three years on. Canberra: Diabetes Australia; 2008. Available online at: https://static.diabetesaustralia.com.au/s/fileassets/diabetes-australia/7b855650-e129-4499-a371-c7932f8cc38d.pdf (accessed September 2020).
4. Lim SS, Vos T, Flaxman AD, et al. A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990-2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 2012; 380: 2224-2260.
5. Madala MC, Franklin BA, Chen AY, et al. Obesity and age of first non-ST-segment myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2008; 52: 979-985.
6. Lavie CJ, Milani RV, Ventura HO. Obesity and cardiovascular disease: risk factor, paradox, and impact of weight loss. J Am Coll Cardiol 2009; 53: 1925-1932.
7. Musaad S, Haynes EN. Biomarkers of obesity and subsequent cardiovascular events. Epidemiol Rev 2007; 29: 98-114.
8. Bravo PE, Morse S, Borne DM, Aguilar EA, Reisin E. Leptin and hypertension in obesity. Vasc Health Risk Manag 2006; 2: 163-169.
9. National Health and Medical Research Council. Clinical practice guidelines for the management of overweight and obesity in adults, adolescents and children in Australia (2013). Canberra: NHMRC; 2013.
10. Schauer PR, Bhatt DL, Kirwan JP, et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes – 3-year outcomes. N Engl J Med 2014; 370: 2002-2013.
11. Head GA. Cardiovascular and metabolic consequences of obesity. Front Physiol 2015; 6: 32.
12. Ding D, Chong S, Jalaludin B, Comino E, Bauman AE. Risk factors of incident type 2-diabetes mellitus over a 3-year follow-up: results from a large Australian sample. Diabetes Res Clin Pract 2015; 108: 306-315.
13. Nyström PK, Carlsson AC, Leander K, de Faire U, Hellenius ML, Gigante B. Obesity, metabolic syndrome and risk of atrial fibrillation: a Swedish, prospective cohort study. PLoS One 2015; 10(5): e0127111.
14. Pathak RK, Mahajan R, Lau DH, et al. The implications of obesity for cardiac arrhythmia mechanisms and management. Can J Cardiol 2015; 31: 203-210.
15. Sjöström L, Peltonen M, Jacobson P, et al. Bariatric surgery and long-term cardiovascular events. JAMA 2012; 307: 56-65.
16. Basoor A, Cotant JF, Randhawa G, et al. High prevalence of obesity in young patients with ST elevation myocardial infarction. Am Heart Hosp J 2011; 9: 37-40.
17. Plourde B, Sarrazin JF, Nault I, Poirier P. Sudden cardiac death and obesity. Exp Rev Cardiovasc Ther 2014; 12: 1099-1110.
18. Zimmet P. Diabesity in Australia: an affair of the heart. Heart Lung Circ 2003; 12 Suppl 2: S95-S98.
19. Reddy YN, Carter RE, Obokata M, Redfield MM, Borlaug BA. A simple, evidence-based approach to help guide diagnosis of heart failure with preserved ejection fraction. Circ 2018; 138: 861-870.
20. Kitzman DW, Shah SJ. The HFpEF obesity phenotype: the elephant in the room. J Am Coll Cardiol 2016; 68: 200-203.
21. Kitzman DW, Lam CS. Obese heart failure with preserved ejection fraction phenotype: from pariah to central player. Circ 2017; 136: 20-23.
22. Adabag S, Huxley RR, Lopez FL, et al. Obesity related risk of sudden cardiac death in the atherosclerosis risk in communities study. Heart 2015; 101: 215-221.
23. Chen H, Deng Y, Li S. Relation of body mass index categories with risk of sudden cardiac death. Int Heart J 2019; 60: 624-630.
24. Noheria A, Teodorescu C, Uy-Evanado A, et al. Distinctive profile of sudden cardiac arrest in middle-aged vs. older adults: a community-based study. Int J Cardiol 2013; 168: 3495-3499.
25. Alpert MA, Terry BE, Cohen MV, et al. The electrocardiogram in morbid obesity. Am J Cardiol 2000; 85: 908-910.
26. Lim SP, Arasaratnam P, Chow BJ. Obesity and the challenges of non-invasive imaging for the detection of coronary artery disease. Can J Cardiol 2015; 31: 223-226.
27. Buschur ME, Smith D, Share D, et al. The burgeoning epidemic of morbid obesity in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: insight from the Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan Cardiovascular Consortium. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 62: 685-691.
28. Das SR, Alexander KP, Chen AY, et al. Impact of body weight and extreme obesity on the presentation, treatment and in-hospital outcomes of 50,149 patients with ST-segment myocardial infarction. J Am Coll Cardiol 2011; 58: 2642-2650.
29. Payvar S, Kim S, Rao SV, et al. In-hospital outcomes of percutaneous coronary interventions in extremely-obese and normal-weight patients. J Am Coll Cardiol 2013; 62: 692-696.
30. McNulty PH, Ettinger SM, Field JM, et al. Cardiac catheterization in morbidly obese patients. Cathet Cardiovasc Intervent 2002; 56: 174-177.
31. Yap CH, Mohajeri M, Yii M. Obesity and early complications after cardiac surgery. Med J Aust 2007; 186: 350-354.
32. Wigfield CH, Lindsey JD, Munoz A, et al. Is extreme obesity a risk factor for cardiothoracic surgery? An analysis of patients with a BMI>40. Eur J Cardiothor Surg 2006; 29: 434-440.
33. Choi JC, Bakaeen FG, Cornwell LD, et al. Morbid obesity is associated with increased resource utilization in coronary artery bypass grafting. Ann Thorac Surg 2012; 94: 23-28.
34. Schauer PR, Kashyap SR, Wolski K, et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366: 1567-1576.
35. Lavie CJ, Pandey A, Lau DH, Alpert MA, Sanders P. Obesity and atrial fibrillation prevalence, pathogenesis and prognosis: effects of weight loss and exercise. J Am Coll Cardiol 2017; 70: 2022-2035.
36. Pathak RK, Middeldorp ME, Meredith M, et al. Long-term effect of goal-directed weight management in an atrial fibrillation cohort: a long-term follow-up study (LEGACY study). J Am Coll Cardiol 2015; 65: 2159-2169.
37. Abed HS, Wittert GA, Leong DP, et al. Effect of weight reduction and cardio-metabolic risk factor management on symptom burden and severity in patients with atrial fibrillation: a randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2013; 310: 2050-2060.
38. Piché MÈ, Auclair A, Harvey J, Marceau S, Poirier P. How to use and choose bariatric surgery in 2015. Can J Cardiol 2015; 31: 153-166.
39. Poirier P, McCrindle BW, Leiter LA. Obesity: it must not remain the neglected risk factor in cardiology. Can J Cardiol 2015; 31: 105-108.
40. Shimada YJ, Gibo K, Tsugawa Y, et al. Bariatric surgery is associated with lower risk of acute care use for cardiovascular disease in adults. Cardiovasc Res 2019; 115: 800-806.
41. Lim J, Cho YH, Yamamoto H, Eng A, Markovic T, Kim KK. Governmental or social support of bariatric surgery in the asia-pacific region. J Obes Metab Syndr 2017; 26: 10-14.