© BSIP RF/DIOMEDIA.COM
1. Australian Bureau of Statistics, Overweight and Obesity: an interactive insight. 2019, AIHW. Available on line at www.aihw.gov.au/reports/overweight-obesity/overweight-and-obesity-an-interactive-insight/contents/what-is-overweight-and-obesity (accessed August 2020)
2. Bariatric Surgery Registry Semi-Annual Report 2019. 2020, Monash University: Melbourne, Australia. Available online at: www.monash.edu/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/2158939/Bariatric-Surgery-Registry-Semi_Annual-Report_2019.pdf (accessed August 2020)
3. Parmar CD, Mahawar KK. One anastomosis (mini) gastric bypass is now an established bariatric procedure: a systematic review of 12,807 patients. Obes Surg 2018; 28: 2956-2967.
4. Sjöström L, Peltonen M, Jacobson P, et al. Bariatric surgery and long-term cardiovascular events. JAMA 2012; 307: 56-65.
5. Adams TD, Davidson LE, Litwin SE, et al. Health benefits of gastric bypass surgery after 6 years. JAMA 2012; 308: 1122-1131.
6. Douglas IJ, Bhaskaran K, Batterham RL, et al. Bariatric surgery in the United Kingdom: a cohort study of weight loss and clinical outcomes in routine clinical care. PLoS Med 2015; 12: e1001925.
7. O’Brien PE, MacDonald L, Anderson M, Brennan L, Brown WA. Long-term outcomes after bariatric surgery: fifteen-year follow-up of adjustable gastric banding and a systematic review of the literature. Ann Surg 2013; 257: 87-94.
8. Courcoulas AP, King WC, Belle SH, et al. Seven-year weight trajectories and health outcomes in the Longitudinal Assessment of Bariatric Surgery (LABS) study. JAMA Surg 2018; 153: 427-434.
9. Peterli R, Wölnerhanssen BK, Peters T, et al. Effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy vs laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass on weight loss in patients with morbid obesity: The SM-BOSS randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2018; 319: 255-265.
10. Salminen P, Helmiö M, Ovaska J, et al., Effect of laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy vs laparoscopic roux-en-y gastric bypass on weight loss at 5 years among patients with morbid obesity: the SLEEVEPASS randomized clinical trial. JAMA 2018; 319: 241-254.
11. O’Brien P. Controversies in bariatric surgery. Br J Surg 2015; 102: 611-618.
12. Miras AD, le Roux CW. Mechanisms underlying weight loss after bariatric surgery. Nat Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol 2013; 10: 575-584.
13. Stefater MA, Wilson-Perez HE, Chambers AP, Sandoval DA, Seeley RJ. All bariatric surgeries are not created equal: insights from mechanistic comparisons. Endocr Rev 2012; 33: 595-622.
14. Dixon JB, O’Brien PE, Playfair J, et al. Adjustable gastric banding and conventional therapy for type 2 diabetes: a randomised controlled trial. JAMA 2008; 299: 316-323.
15. Mingrone G, Panunzi S, De Gaetano A, et al. Bariatric surgery versus conventional medical therapy for type 2 diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366: 1567-1576.
16. Mingrone G, Panunzi S, De Gaetano A, et al. Bariatric-metabolic surgery versus conventional medical treatment in obese patients with type 2 diabetes: 5 year follow-up of an open-label, single centre, randomized controlled trial. Lancet 2015; 386: 964-973.
17. Ikramuddin S, Korner J, Lee WJ, et al., Lifestyle intervention and medical management with vs without roux-en-y gastric bypass and control of hemoglobin A1c, LDL cholesterol, and systolic blood pressure at 5 years in the diabetes surgery study. JAMA 2018; 319: 266-278.
18. Schauer PR, Kashyap SR, Wolski K, et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy in obese patients with diabetes. N Engl J Med 2012; 366: 1567-1576.
19. Schauer PR, Bhatt DL, Kirwan JP, et al. Bariatric surgery versus intensive medical therapy for diabetes - 5-year outcomes. N Engl J Med 2017; 376: 641-651.
20. Panunzi S, Carlsson L, De Gaetano, et al. Determinants of diabetes remission and glycemic control after bariatric surgery. Diabetes Care 2016; 39:166-174.
21. American Diabetes Association. Standards of Medical Care in Diabetes-2020 Abridged for Primary Care Providers. Clin Diabetes 2020; 38: 10-38.
22. Carlsson LMS, Peltonen M, Ahlin S, et al. Bariatric surgery and prevention of type 2 diabetes in Swedish obese subjects. N Engl J Med 2012; 367: 695-704.
23. Sjöström L, Narbro K, Sjöström CD, et al; Swedish Obese Subjects Study. Effects of bariatric surgery on mortality in Swedish obese subjects. N Engl J Med 2007; 357: 741-752.
24. Ikramuddin S, Billington CJ, Lee WJ, et al. Roux-en-Y gastric bypass for diabetes (the Diabetes Surgery Study): 2-year outcomes of a 5-year, randomised, controlled trial. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol 2015; 3: 413-422.
25. Courcoulas AP, Yanovski SZ, Bonds D, et al. Long-term outcomes of bariatric surgery: a National Institutes of Health symposium. JAMA Surg 2014; 149: 1323-1329.
26. Sjöström L, Lindroos A, Peltonen M, et al; Swedish Obese Subjects Study Scientific Group. Lifestyle, diabetes, and cardiovascular risk factors 10 years after bariatric surgery. N Engl J Med 2004; 351: 2683-2693.
27. Moran LJ, Norman RJ. The effect of bariatric surgery on female reproductive function. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2012; 97: 4352-4354
28. Hammoud A, Gibson M, Hunt SC, et al. Effect of Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery on the sex steroids and quality of life in obese men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2009; 94: 1329-1332.
29. Pories WJ. Bariatric surgery: risks and rewards. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2008; 93: S89-S96.
30. Karihaloo C. Surgical options for weight loss. Med Today 2010; 11(8): 81-83.
31. Hjorth S, Näslund I, Andersson-Assarsson JC, et al. Reoperations after bariatric surgery in 26 years of follow-up of the Swedish Obese Subjects Study. JAMA Surg, 2019; 154: 319-326.
32. Spaniolas K, Yang J, Crowley S, et al. Association of long-term anastomotic ulceration after roux-en-y gastric bypass with tobacco smoking. JAMA Surg 2018; 153: 862-864.
33. Morgan DJR, Platell C, Ho KM. The incidence and determinants of bariatric reoperations: a population-based cohort study. Surg Obes Relat Dis 2020; 16: 663-669.
34. Heber D, Greenway FL, Kaplan LM, et al; Endocrine Society. Endocrine and nutritional management of the post-bariatric surgery patient: an Endocrine Society clinical practice guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2010; 95: 4823-4843.
35. Nakamura KM, Haglind EG, Clowes JA, et al. Fracture risk following bariatric surgery: a population-based study. Osteoporos Int 2014; 25: 151-158.
36. Lu CW, Chang YK, Chang HH, et al. Fracture risk after bariatric surgery: a 12-year nationwide cohort study. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015; 94: e2087.
37. Stein EM, Carrelli A, Young P, et al. Bariatric surgery results in cortical bone loss. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2013; 98: 541-549.
38. Brzozowska MM, Sainsbury A, Eisman JA, Baldock PA, Center JR. Bariatric surgery, bone loss, obesity and possible mechanisms. Obes Rev 2013; 14: 52-67.
39. Peterhänsel C, Petroff D, Klinitzke G, Kersting A, Wagner B. Risk of completed suicide after bariatric surgery: a systematic review. Obes Rev 2013; 14: 369-382.
40. Bhatti JA, Nathens AB, Thiruchelvam D, Grantcharov T, Goldstein BI, Redelmeier DA. Self-harm emergencies after bariatric surgery: a population-based cohort study. JAMA Surg 2016; 151: 226-232
41. Morgan DJR, Ho KM, Platell C. Incidence and determinants of mental health service use after bariatric surgery. JAMA Psychiatry 2019; 77: 60-67.