1. Pawelec G. Age and immunity: what is ‘immunosenescence’? Exp Gerontol 2018; 105: 4-9.
2. Kim C, Fang F, Weyand CM, Goronzy JJ. The life cycle of a T cell after vaccination - where does immune ageing strike? Clin Exp Immunol 2017; 187: 71-81.
3. Andrew MK, Bowles SK, Pawelec G, et al. Influenza vaccination in older adults: recent innovations and practical applications. Drugs Aging 2019; 36: 29-37.
4. Johnson RW, Bouhassira D, Kassianos G, Leplège A, Schmader KE, Weinke T. The impact of herpes zoster and post-herpetic neuralgia on quality-of-life. BMC Med 2010; 8: 3. https://doi.org/10.1186/1741-7015-8-37
5. Gordon A, Reingold A. The burden of influenza: a complex problem. Curr Epidemiol Rep 2018; 5: 1-9.
6. Birkebæk N, Kristiansen M, Seefeldt T, et al. Bordetella pertussis and chronic cough in adults. Clin Infect Dis 1999; 29: 1239-1242.
7. MacIntyre R, Stern A, Harrison C, Britt H, Mahimbo A, Cunningham A. Increasing trends of herpes zoster in Australia. PLoS One 2015; 10: e0125025.
8. Nutbeam D. Health literacy as a public health goal: a challenge for contemporary health education and communication strategies into the 21st century. Health Prom Int 2000; 15: 259-267.
9. Aubusson K. NSW pharmacists get go-ahead to give measles, whooping cough vaccines. Sydney Morning Herald 2018; 26 Oct. Available online at: www.smh.com.au/national/nswpharmacists-get-go-ahead-to-give-measles-whooping-cough-vaccines-20181025-p50bys.html (accessed February 2019).
10. Thompson MG, Pierse N, Huang QS, et al; SHIVERS Investigation Team. Influenza vaccine effectiveness in preventing influenza-associated intensive care admissions and attenuating severe disease among adults in New Zealand 2012–2015. Vaccine 2018; 36: 5916-5925.
11. Thomas RE, Lorenzetti DL. Interventions to increase influenza vaccination rates of those 60 years and older in the community. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2018; (5): CD005188.
COMPETING INTERESTS: Professor Van Buynder has conducted clinical research on vaccine effectiveness of adjuvanted vaccines via an unrestricted grant from Novartis. He has also received support for research, education and marketing, travel and/or advisory board activities from Seqirus, Sanofi, GlaxoSmithKline, Roche, Pfizer and Novartis. Associate Professor Woodward has received funds for sitting on advisory boards and participating in educational events for Seqirus, Sanofi, MSD and GlaxoSmithKline.